This page contains detailed information on using a writing sample for interview. Interview writing samples can make or break you. It is vital to choose a sample that not only shows off your skills, but also addresses what the interviewer is looking for.
On occasion, potential employers will ask for a writing sample. It should be included with your cover letter and resume. They are typically required for jobs in legal, the media, public relations or advertising.
It should be two to five pages long, unless otherwise specified by the employer. Try not to go longer than five pages. If you do, make sure there is a summary page at the beginning outlining the sample.
Quality is always your first consideration, before any of the criteria that follow below. It must be well written, and be relevant to the position.
Writing style is also very important.
. Be certain to choose a piece that reflects all of the elements of good business writing.
· Based in reality and relevant. Easy to understand terminology (versus abstractions).
· Concise and to the point, using as few words as necessary.
· It should not require the reader to have any special knowledge of the topic.
Topic/Method of analysis. Try to choose a piece which relates to the job in some way (be it the manner of analysis, or content). Of course it needs to be good quality.
· Journalism and advertising positions -- usually require a "portfolio" of writing samples.
· Public relations positions will want to see several samples of press releases you have written.
· Using "creative" samples -- Proving the ability to think creatively is often important in certain fields such as advertising or television. Employers want to see that you can convey ideas clearly and succinctly.
Now that we have gone over the interview writing samples, it is important to be aware of key resources that will make your job search more thorough.
Having an effective writing sample for interview is very important. Also essential is to utilize all of the resources that you can in your job search.
Resume Edge has “industry experts” that write each resume and cover letter. We have found that they consistently deliver a quality product, and highly recommend them. Without a quality resume, you could lose out on interviews.
Resume Blaster will email your resume to over 500,000 employers, recruiters and headhunters that are hiring right now. They get your resume in front of decision makers.
Resume Robin will post your resume to over 75 of the most popular job boards. It only takes 5 minutes. (It would take you countless hours to post your resume to each of these boards one at a time)
Considering the time these services can save you, they are very reasonably priced. We highly recommend you consider them.
If you have any questions about a writing sample for interview, please contact us. For additional guidance on a interview writing sample, write to us.